Christmas in Old Varkaus is celebrated from November 17, 2022 until January 6, 2023. All residents and entrepreneurs of Old Varkaus, tourists and other visitors to the area are welcome to join the Christmas festivities!
Get into the Christmas mood with Christmas carols and concerts!
The most beautiful Christmas carols are sung in Old Varkaus:
- with the children in the main church on Monday 12 December at 6 p.m
- in Kinkamon Aalto (Kinkamontie 114) on Monday 12 December at 6 p.m
- in the main church on Sunday 18 December at 6 p.m
Varkaus museums organizes the Forgotten Christmas carols sing-along event in the Factory school hall (2nd floor, Savontie 4) on Thursday 15 December at 6 p.m.
You can enjoy music in the main church of Varkaus in several concerts before Christmas.
- From darkness to light Christmas concert on Thursday 1 December at 6 p.m. Marcus Lång, accompanied by Hannu Ala, piano, and Aleksi Hirvonen, guitar. Free admission, programme 10€.
- Organ concert by Kristian Saarinen on Monday 5 December at 7 p.m. Free admission.
- Varkaus cantors Christmas concert on Thursday 8 December at 2 p.m. Free admission.
- Christmas star concert on Sunday 11 December at 6 p.m. Soloists Tiina Räsänen, Petri Hervanto and Aki Samuli, accompanied by Sami Ruutiainen and Anssi Huotari. Free admission, programme 10€.
Other music events during Christmas are the concerts of the popular Rock With You choir in the Warkaus hall on 23-25 November and 2 December. In addition, Ukevox and Jussi Syren & The Groundbreakers will have a Christmas jamming at Restaurant Kaks Ruusua on Friday 9 December at 7 p.m. There is an entrance fee to the concerts.
Keskuskonttori has an artist performing every other weekend. Enjoy the delicious buffet and live music!
The local heart association ladies organise a Traditional Christmas Market at Navitas Taitotalo (Wredenkatu 2) on Sunday 11 December from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cafe is also open, note! card payment only.
Old Varkaus Christmas Market will be held at Factory school (Savontie 4) from Monday to Sunday, 12-18 December from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Find the perfect gifts or delicacies for the Christmas dinner from local producers.
Restaurant Kaks Ruusua (Ahlströminkatu 25) has a delicious Christmas lunch on weekdays 7-22 December from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Hotel Oscar serves candlelight breakfasts on Fridays and weekends during 2-18 December. You are welcome to enjoy the delicacies even if not staying in the hotel. Hotel Oscar’s Christmas menus contain delicacies for every taste. Do you organize Christmas parties? Reserve tables https://www.hoteloscar.fi/en/restaurants/restaurant-oscar/.
The charming and atmospheric Christmas café Fifty-fifty café Niittylä is located in Taideniitty. You will find mouth-watering delicacies from Finland and Christmas flavours from around the world. During the season, the café will also be offering themed nights and programmes.
Kinkamon Aalto‘s Christmas café will be open on 18 December from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. Enjoy the traditional rice porridge with sugar, cinnamon and butter, or Kinkamo’s own mulled wine (glögi), and other delicacies.
Harri’s Food Factory‘s street food cart serves Christmas partygoers and night customers with street food at Päiviönsaari market place in November and December on Friday and Saturday nights from 11 pm to 6 am. Enjoy the premium street food!
Christmas party programme
When you want to experience something unique, memorable and feeding all your senses, book a guided, show-filled tour of the Museum of Mechanical Music. This unique museum serves visitors until 15 December based on telephone reservations.